Saturday, January 2, 2010

Small Steps

I am not generally a fan of January. It's time to take down the tree and get the last of those never ending leaves out of the yard. There are still unfinished projects from 2009, like a photo book and laundry from last year. But the thing I do love about January are resolutions. This year I am resolving to be healthier, physically and mentally, and to be a better steward of the earth. Huge resolutions? Yes, indeed. But they are do-able in small steps. I ordered a digital scale on-line this morning and this week I am focusing on reigning in my post-holiday portion sizes and getting back on the exercise track. I want to exercise three times between now and next Saturday. That seems like a very attainable first-week-of-January goal.

And taking care of that other resolution...Hip Mountain Mama has issued a challenge that requires one small change every month that will make a positive green impact leading up to Earth Day. In January I resolve to stop throwing away food. We will consume what we buy, therefore buying less and requiring less production on behalf of our little family. I will eat leftovers, and freeze what I know will not get eaten so we can use it later. Tonight's menu is soup from the beef and vegetables we have remaining after many holiday celebrations...

2 comments:

Hip Mountain Mama said...

Thanks for joining us! I think this is such a great first change. We throw away too much food also and really need to get a grip on this! I look forward to hearing how it goes!
Suzy

Stacy (Mama-Om) said...

Hi,
Found you via One Small Change...

This is one we struggle with, too. My mom grew up eating "refrigerator soup," which was when her father used up everything in the fridge. My impression is that it wasn't too yummy, but I think it can be done and still be yummy. :)

Another thing I've done (but not often enough) is to cut up or cook things and freeze them when I know we're not going to eat them in time...

Also, for next month's challenge, we're going to switch to all cotton veggie bags and use a produce saver in the crisper, which will hopefully help on two fronts (less plastic and less waste). This month is using less electricity.

I look forward to reading how your month goes!

(By the way, I like using parentheses, too.)