Thursday, December 2, 2010

Ror and Me

A few months back I switched up my work schedule (again.) Earlier in the year I had begun going to work five days a week, working an early hours schedule and trying to pick up the girls so we could spend a good bit of the late afternon and evening together. It was a tough schedule, and as the months went on I picked up the girls later and later. I also found that I really missed my days at home with them. At some point it dawned on me that I have a very limited amount of time where I'll be able to keep the girls home with me, what with looming kindergarten for Jilli and Ror not far behind.

So I bucked up, asked my boss to let me switch back to two days at home (and 12 hour days three times a week) and here we are today. Jilli still goes to school around four days a week. She loves it there and misses going. At first I tried to convince her of how much fun we would have at home, and then I relented. She usually stays home with me one day, and on the others, like today, I get Ror all to myself. We usually stay close to home, with one or two trips out to run errands, or go to the park, or get books at the library. And on these days she gets her chance to be an only child. She gets to pick the books we read. She dictates where we play. We fix what she wants for lunch. And me? I get to see her personality and moods and funny spirit without her big (amazing, smart, fabulous) sister around. So today, in a season where I am reminded that I have much to be grateful for, I am thankful I get to spend a whole day with my Ror.

2 comments:

Nik said...

You make me want to be a mommy.

Michele said...

Nik-- best job in the world. And you would be awesome at it. Get started :)